Peter explored the interesting question: Can you put use vector tiles with QGIS?
- In the May 2017 meetup we looked at the promising Vector Tiles Reader plugin.
- It is now available in the QGIS plugins, requiring version 2.18.
- Using Vector Tiles Reader Peter created a new connection to his tile service but was not able to get it to load.
- Also he could not get the default OpenMapTiles.com service to load.
- Clifford was able to load MBTiles format data stored locally. It was provided as part of the plugin installation.
- He had to move it out of the hidden directory it was installed in to get it to work.
- Clifford was running QGIS version 2.18.7 and Peter was running version 2.18.2, both on MacOS.
- Peter upgraded to QGIS 2.18.7 but has python 2.7.2 and it still didn’t work.
- Paul upgraded to QGIS 2.18.7 and has python 2.7.10 and it does work with the local file.
- Paul is also running MacOS
- Paul still can’t load the vector tiles from Peter’s server.
- There was a speculation that it had to do with lack of styling, but we were not able to test that out.
If anyone has corrections or additions they would like to make to these notes please let Paul McCombs know, or submit a pull request on github